First meeting of the Harton Puzzlers had 6 members attending.
Our first session was finding out about red squirrells and how people interact with them. Using the iPads, we are found out information and facts about red squirrels. Our first project idea was to build a high bridge so they can cross the road safely. Then we found out that the main way people help squirrels is to help charities take care of squirrells by tagging where their habitats are on a website. Our idea is now based on this interaction.
Some facts that we found out about red squirrels tonight are:
- They are only 140,000 red squirrels in Britain and they is 2.5 miliion grey squirrels.
- Did you know grey squirrels over take red squirrels living habbits?
- Did you squirrels only live up to three years in the wild, if in captivity, one can live for up to ten years.
- Did you know the grey squirrels spread a disease called ‘Squirrelpox’? If red squirrels get squirrelpox, they will die, but it does not affect the grey squirrels.
We have also came up with lots of ideas to share our ideas around the school and community to help the squirrels.
- Trying to arrange a trip to Woodthorn, as they have red squirrel feeders.
- Arrange meetings with experts – either in person or on Skype.
- Create a badge to sell to children in school to raise money for charity and raise awareness.
We have also been given a homework task to find ‘Did you know’ facts about red squirrels to display around school.